- Have your clothing chosen way in advance and make sure that your outfit choices are comfortable and appealing. What do your dream family photos look like? If they are soft and elegant? Chose neutral colors with soft, flowing fabric — think creams, very soft pastels, light browns, tans, grays, and slate blues. Want to showcase the fun and spunky side of your family? Choose coordinating colors (but not matchy, matchy) with bold accent colors, such as hues of gray with yellow or bright red accents. Adding fun accessories like scarves, headbands, hats, etc. can add a modern twist and sassy flair to your images. Pinterest is an excellent source to find clothing inspiration!
- Please be certain not to schedule your photo session around your child’s nap or bedtime and try to ensure everyone is well fed and hydrated!
- Parents are often rushing around before a photo shoot, making sure that their family is dressed and ready. I always encourage mothers to have their hair and makeup professionally done – this is a perfect excuse to treat yourself! Leave plenty of time for showers, baths, dressing, and grooming and give yourself extra time so that you are ready before it’s time to head out that door.
- Don’t be overly concerned about your children “saying cheese” – this usually leads to stiff, unnatural looking smiles. Don’t be afraid to pick up your children and toss them in the air, give your wife a sweet kiss on the check, tell your husband how much you love him and appreciate him for being there for your family! Have fun, laugh, giggle, joke, embrace, kiss, snuggle, play! This allows me to capture the emotion and true beauty of your family!
NEWBORN SESSION SUGGESTIONS/TIPSEDIT
- Please have your newborn in only a diaper and wrapped loosely in a blanket upon arrival.
- Most of the images we’ll be shooting work best if the baby is in a deep sleep. To encourage this, I recommend that you do whatever it takes to make sure baby is nice and exhausted. Please try to keep your newborn awake for at least an hour before the session. 15 minutes before the session, please start feeding him/her so they will be very tired for me.
- If you have children and would like them to be included in some photos, I recommend bringing them in at the beginning or end of a session and then having someone take them. Only those being photographed should be present to help maintain a calm environment.
- Newborn sessions can last anywhere from 1-3 hours. It all depends on baby’s mood and willingness to sleep. And if sleep doesn’t happen, that’s okay — I can get beautiful shots of a wide eyed baby!
- For at home sessions open all your blinds and curtains to let in as much natural light as possible and turn your heat up in your home as the baby will be in only a diaper and wrap for a majority of the session.
Some parents choose to have only their newborn photographed which is totally understandable, you are exhausted and may not feel up to it! However, if you choose to be in photos – here are some tips!
FOR MOMS: This is the perfect time to pamper yourself! Go have your hair + makeup done (or better yet, have someone come to you!), schedule a massage or have your nails done. Looking super relaxed and at your best will make you feel more comfortable during the session. This is an exciting time in your life and we want to capture all of that, so take care of yourself first! And feel free to tell your husbands that I’m making you if they need a little convincing!
As far as clothing? Keep it simple. Throw in a little color if you’d like, but skip the busy patterns. (And please don’t feel the need to match everyone in white shirts and jeans)
FOR DADS: Your hands, and possibly even your feet, will play a major role in this session, so it’s important that you tend to them too! Even if you aren’t planning on participating much in the session, you’ll still be handling your baby a bit, so it’s a good idea to touch up on your grooming. Trim and tidy your nails and apply lotion to any dry skin.
**Wrinkles do show up in photos, so please make sure all clothing is ironed or steamed**